Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Babysitter woes

My current, soon to be former, babysitter for Z is really perplexing, frustrating and generally annoying me.

A little background -
Z was born 1 month premature, no health problems, just tiny. Sitter was a parent of a former student, had a licensed child care home. Former student was also preemie so I felt very comfortable with sitter's years of experiece taking care of Z since I had to go back to work when she was 2 months old. Sitter was also right down the street from my school I taught at. Bonus.

I felt very comfortable with her care, there were some minor inconveniences however such as her schedule. Daily, she was open 7:30 - 5:00. She did me a favor by opening early so I could be at school by 7 so then I would pick up out of courtesy by 4:00.

Also, she had two weeks vacation scheduled at Christmas time which we A. had to pay for and B. couldn't take our children. The first two years, this did NOT coincide with the holiday break for the school district. Odd, since her daughter attended said school district. I'm not going to lie - that was actually a MAJOR inconvenience. Fortunately my mother-in-law and mom were available with lots of shuffling.

Then, there were other random days off and hence the reason for my current frustration level these have become more frequent. With absolutely no explanation. I don't need or want details. How about just - "Sorry for the short notice about this Friday (yes, this Friday) but there's something personal that has come up." That would satisfy me. Not really, but it's better than her response when I read the letter yesterday still in her hom and she said "Yeah, I have to." Seriously? The reason we pay you to watch our child is because we have jobs.

DH and I had already decided that we were taking Z to a place closer to our home, which is less expensive and a better fit overall for our family. I just have to make it through the next month. I have typed the letter that will tell sitter we're leaving. I'm not giving it to her yet, though. She requires two weeks notice and I think that's all I can stand the cold shoulder for.

No comments: