My mom found this blog - Real Mom Kitchen - and she's got some awesome stuff! So far, I've only tried the desserts but there are other yummy looking things there that I've got on my list to try.
So, today I tried the Orange Cupcakes with Orange Buttercream Frosting. Again, yum. I ended up using 6 cups of powdered sugar in the frosting just like the author, Laura. There was so much of it! I'm going to have to go and bake another batch of the cupcakes just to use all of it. (Darn it) Good thing it'll last a couple days!
Fresh Orange Cupcakes
- 1 package of yellow cake mix
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of orange zest
- 1 cup of orange juice
- 1/2 cup of canola oil
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
1. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, sugar, and orange zest. Whisk to combine. Add orange juice, canola oil, vanilla extract and eggs. Blend with the mixer on low speed for one minute, then speed it up to medium and beat for 2 more minutes.
2. Fill cupcake papers about 1/2 to 2/3 full. Bake at 350F until golden in color and a toothpick test comes out clean, about 22-25 minutes.
3. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Orange Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, very soft
- 6-8 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Place the butter in a large mixing bowl. Add 4 cups of sugar, then the juice and the zest. Beat until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, until icing is thick enough to be of good spreading consistency (I added 6 cups total). Use and store at room temperature. (Don’t refrigerate and it will last in a covered container for about three days.)