Friday, January 2, 2009

Happy New Year!




Happy New Year everyone! This is where I am supposed to wax poetic about the previous year and pledge to do certain things in the new year. I know me. Instead of making resolutions like "I will work out 4 times a week for an hour" or "I will eat more vegetables and fruits and less french fries" I need to pick just a couple of things to get better at.

That's how I work in my classroom - I pick a couple of things to do better while continuing to refine previous goals. Last year I said I was going to assess better and make sure my assessments were valid (that includes checklists, notes on students and work samples). This led to being able to better place students in small groups. Also, I was going to be more consistent on follow through with classroom management. Especially tough last year with the class from you know where.

This year at school, I'm focusing on math/problem solving and fluency in reading. So far so good. Last check, all but 1 student was on level for CWPM and the kids are getting much better at working through number stories and explaining their thinking.

So, the other side of my life - the home side. What to pick?

I will be more conscious and aware of spending quality time with my husband. Time is a big thing. So many demands and so little time. Prioritizing and working smarter not harder should help. Also, not having to get up at 4:30 in the morning anymore should give me time in the evenings. Date night will become a must.

I will try some new Flylady.com ideas to maintain the house during the week instead of having to rush around on the weekends. Goes along with the whole time thing - do a little each day along the way to free up some time on the weekends!

I'm now held accountable by writing these words where others can see. No wiggling out of it now!

No comments: